Sunday, July 27, 2014

1.2 | Wake Me Up


After the genie worked his magic, a feeling came over me that I couldn’t place at first.
Then it hit me – I was human again. Well, a living human again.
It was the oddest thing in the world to me. I had been so used to being a ghost, used to that feeling of floating emptiness and cold. Now I was warm, solid. Breathing. I felt my heart beating in my chest and knew it was real.
The only question I had was; “what now?”

Alestair helped me out even more. He let me use his house to clean up while he went and bought me some new outfits. I assured him he didn’t have to, but he said he didn’t mind. Besides, it’s what Ginger wanted. It hurt hearing her name, but I pushed past it. She was dead and gone, and I was alive. It didn’t seem fair, but that was the hand I had been dealt.
After I was clean and dressed, Alestair presented me with a yellow envelope. Inside was some money, a renewed identification card, a house key, and the biggest surprise of all – a plane ticket.
“You can’t stay around here, Jin.” Alestair explained with a sigh. “You’re supposed to be dead, and it would raise a lot of questions for people to see you walking around here.”
I nodded. He had a point. “I understand.” I told him. “Besides, it would feel wrong to stay here without Ginger, anyway. I really don’t think I could do it.”
Alestair nodded sadly and remained silent. I looked at the plane ticket; my flight was scheduled to leave that evening, and my destination was Lucky Palms. That was as good a place to start over as any, I supposed.
After the remainder of my new clothes was packed, Alestair loaded my luggage into his car and then gave me a ride to the airport. On the way there, he explained that he had already purchased a small home for me in Lucky Palms at Ginger’s behest and that a cab would pick me up at the airport and take me there. I thanked him numbly, unsure of what else to say. Hell, I was unsure of what I even felt. I wanted to be excited, but the pain of knowing Ginger was gone and never coming back was still too fresh.
Alestair dropped me off at the airport and we said our goodbyes. He gave me his phone number and told me to call him when I got there, and anytime I thought I might need someone to talk to. I thanked him again, but this time with more emotion. I did appreciate him.
The flight was long, but I didn’t care. It gave me time to get used to being alive again. I touched everything in sight, drank gin, and enjoyed every scent, even the exhaust fumes from the plane. It was exhilarating.
It also gave me time to read the letter from Ginger. It had been tucked away in the envelope given to me by Alestair. I read it after having my second gin.
“Jin,
First off, you need to know that I love you. I always have. There are some things that I need to tell you, but I just don’t know how yet. I don’t know how much you remember about the day you died, but I remember it all too well. I’ve carried the pain of that day ever since. I suppose if you’re reading this, then I’m gone, and Mr. Alestair is taking care of my affairs. It also means that you’re alive now. Jin, I want you to live your life now. I want you to have a second chance because your time on this earth was cut so short. I’ll never forgive myself for outliving you, never. Jin, I want you to start over, and be happy without me. I promise you, I’ll be content in death. I don’t want to come back. But I want you to come back and be happy. Can you do that for me, please?
This won’t be the only time you hear from me. I have several letters prepared for you and they’ve been left in Mr. Alestair’s care. He’ll know when to send them.
I love you, Jin. Always remember that.
Love, your Ginger”
I didn’t know what to think, or feel. I felt numb. I read the letter several times before I carefully folded it and tucked it away in my pocket. I ordered another gin, because I felt like I needed it. All I could do was tell myself to take solace in the fact that this wouldn’t be the last time I heard from my dead wife.
When I arrived in Lucky Palms, a cab was waiting for me just as Alestair had said, and it took me to my new home.
Which, much to my dismay, was on the water. In fact, it was surrounded by water.
“Are you freaking kidding me?” I muttered as I dropped my luggage on the ground. The foundation was set in the damn ocean, and it took me five minutes to muster the courage to even step foot on it. Taking a deep breath, I gathered my luggage and walked towards the house. The ground beneath me didn’t sway, so I told myself it was alright. The house itself was nice, and once I got inside I found that the view was beautiful, even though I was someone who wasn’t a very big fan of the water(okay, I hated the water, there I said it.)


The house was bare except for the main necessities, but that was okay. I certainly wasn’t about to complain. I knew in time that I would be able to afford some new furnishings and décor. After I unpacked, I took a bit of the money that Alestair had given me and went to a nearby shop. I bought some food items since I would have to start eating again. I also picked up some décor for my house – a flag representing the Chinese New Year – I had always been proud of my Chinese heritage – and some penguins to set outside my house. I don’t know why … they were on sale and, well, they were cute. So I got them. A lot of them.
I also splurged on the one thing that I knew I couldn’t live without; a new easel and some paints. I knew I would have to live without Ginger although I hadn’t fully accepted that yet, so I refused to live without my outlet, my art. I would have to wait to buy a new guitar, so painting would have to suffice for now.
I couldn’t wait so I dove right in to try to regain the hang of things. After being dead for so long, the paintbrush in my hand felt clumsy, albeit familiar. I knew it wouldn’t take me long to get used to it again.
Some neighbours coming to welcome me to the neighbourhood interrupted my endeavors. I wasn’t feeling very social, but I made myself put on a smile. They seemed nice enough, anyway.
Although, it got a bit awkward when two of them immediately started flirting with one another. Before I could protest, a blonde woman rolled her eyes and came over to me.

“I’m sorry about them. Honestly, I can’t take them anywhere!” She sighed, “I guess I should have just come by myself. I just wanted to say hi and welcome to the neighbourhood.”

I smiled awkwardly at her. “It’s fine, I guess. Maybe my house will become the hot new singles bar.” I shrugged as the blonde laughed. “Anyway, I’m Jin. Thanks for the kind welcome.”
“I’m Sammi.” She said and shook my hand.
We chatted for a bit while I tried to ignore the way she looked at me. I recognized that look. There was no way I was interested in dating anyone right now. I was grieving the loss of my wife, which felt too weird to even begin to think about. How could Ginger be gone? I shook my head. I had forgotten where I was for a moment.
“Are you okay?” Sammi asked me, and I nodded.
“Yeah, sorry. I just need a drink. Excuse me.” I offered her a smile while I went to the fridge to retrieve some juice, one of the only grocery items I picked up while I was out buying a new easel.
“I’m sorry; you’re probably tired from the move aren’t you?” Sammi asked me, and I nodded as I sat down at the table.
“Yeah, I am. I’m not used to being tired.” I confessed, even though I knew it sounded weird. After all, she had no idea that I was readjusting to being alive again. “I mean, I usually have a lot more energy is all.”
Sammi nodded and smiled. “Alright, I’ll get out of your hair and drag the two love birds with me.” She told me, before pulling out her wallet and retrieving a small card. She handed it to me and I saw it had her name, phone number, and address on it, along with the title “Lucky Palms Bookkeeper.” I didn’t have her pegged a math nerd, but you can’t always judge a book by its cover. She continued, “Call me if you ever need anything, ok? And I hope you like it here.”
I took the card and smiled. “Thank you, Sammi. I appreciate it.” I stood to walk her to the door but she assured me it was fine. She told me to get some rest and then she left, dragging the other two with her.
My new house was silent again.
I finished my drink and found myself longing for Ginger. The house we shared had never been quiet; she was always playing music, singing to herself, or clanging around in the kitchen or her workshop. Sometimes she would leave the TV on her favourite movie and let it play on loop while she did things around the house. I missed that.
I returned to my easel. I knew that soon I would have to find a job and start living my newly granted life, but for now, I just wanted to paint. So I did. I thought of Ginger, who had always been my greatest muse, and I painted until I was exhausted, then I went upstairs and fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment